oversized brushed metal 1950's salvaged chicago factory machine shop storage cabinet fabricated by lyon steel products, aurora, ills. the brushed metal cabinet contains a large cabinet door, pull-out drawer and curved top section that lifts up and down. the brushed metal cabinet has been sealed with a clear coat lacquer. the versatile heavily compartmentalized cabinet is in great overall condition. Item measures 30" x 20" x 16"
rare cream-colored glazed terra cotta reliance building facade frieze replacement panel fabricated by the boston valley terra cotta company. orchard park, ny. the highly ornamented panel was reproduced from an original during an extensive building facade rehabilitation project completed around 1999. the skillfully executed glazed terra cotta panel features a centrally located floriated quatrefoil, surrounding by corner tracery. designed attributed to charles atwood under the guidance of daniel b
original and intact c. 1860's heavily ornamented american interior support column capital fragment salvaged from a pre-chicago fire french second empire commercial structure with limestone facade (now demolished). the three story dry goods building was one of the last remaining survivors found within the old skid row district in the south loop. the capitals were discovered (largely intact) above chicken wire "flop house" living quarters on the 2nd and 3rd floors. the iron capitals were comprised
museum quality interior ornamental double-sided cast bronze art deco staircase baluster removed from the former medinah athletic club designed by architect walter s. ahlschlager in 1929. the exquisite detailing is found on both sides of the grille. the medinah athletic club in chicago was commissioned by the shrine organization and designed by architect walter w. ahlschlager. the cornerstone of the medinah athletic club was laid on november 5, 1928. in a ceremony held that day, a copper box was
highly sought after all original and well-maintained turn of the century antique american all-beveled edge oversized leaded glass chicago greystone mansion leaded glass window attributed to the schuler & mueller co., chicago, il. the early 20th century massive square-shaped window is comprised of beveled edge glass alternating between polished and "glue chip" surfaces. the edges of the centrally located shield with crest contains a bevel with "zipper cut." the leaded glass window was salvaged fr
visually striking 19th century antique american interior residential victorian era leaded stained glass transom window salvaged from a historically important chicago gold coast mansion built around 1887. the highly abstract and strongly geometrical art glass window is replete with faceted jewels, pressed ornamental glass rondels, clear bevels and several square rosettes. the lightly colored cathedral glass is both textured and smooth. the high victorian era window features the most unusual congl
matching pair of original historically important ornamental cast iron interior doorknob backplates or escutcheons salvaged from the extant union trust building, designed by architects louis h. sullivan and dankmar adler. the union trust building was constructed in 1892-3. this structure, built in a "u" shaped plan with two wings surrounding a central light court, was designed by louis sullivan's firm immediately after their famous wainwright building. structurally, it is considered to be more pu
original historically important polychromatic terra cotta date shield or plaque salvaged from the r.r. donnelley printing plant (extant). the blue and cream-colored polychromed glazed terra cotta building facade plaque was fabricated by the midland terra cotta (chicago, ills.). the shield features a ornate pillar with initialed scroll. the printing plant facility was considered the largest of its kind upon completion in 1929. r.r. donnelley & sons company, was founded in 1864 by richard robert d
two original c. 1950's bent plate glass exit light panels salvaged from the old chicago state hospital shortly before demolition. the panels were fabricated by the solar light mfg. co. of chicago. the baked white with red enameled lettering remains intact. the original metal housings were lost long ago. the chicago state hospital was first established in 1851 as a poor farm and asylum for the insane. facilities were housed in a three-story building situated atop a ridge. residents of the poor fa
completely intact and fully functional reinforced aluminum a-frame ladder salvaged from a recently shuttered chicago public school. the ladder was fabricated by the louisville ladder company, louisville, ky. the doube-rung steps are tightly affixed to the rails or stringers. the school engineer ladder exhibits a nicely aged surface patina. Ladder measures 18"w x 18"d x 72"h
all original late 19th century historically important chicago stock exchange building oversized doorknobs and monogrammed backplates fabricated by the yale & towne mfg. co., stamford, ct. the intricately detailed cast iron backplates and doorknobs were designed by notable chicago architect louis h. sullivan specifically for the chicago stock exchange building (1894). the backplates and knobs retain the original bower-barff finish with only minor wear evident. the "cse" monogram is located direct
exceptional polychrome lithographed galvanized steel stove board identified as louis h. sullivan's final commission prior to his untimely death in 1924. sullivan may have secured the two hundred dollar commission through his former draftsman, frank lloyd wright, who designed a prairie style house for ward willits, director of the chicago-based american stove board company. only three documented designs were thought to exist according to a 1920’s american stove board company's product catalog. th
early 20th century american craftsman style grueby matte glazed tile offered as a salesman sample used by the odin j. oyen design and decorating firm, located in la crosse, wisc. the glazed ceramic tile features a lightly incised "cucumber green" design against a "seal" brown background. two matching ornamental tiles are available. manufacturer markings are clear and distinct on the tile's backside. the tiles contain no traces of mortar as they were primarily for show in oyen's studio. the grueb
original c. 1930's american depression era historically important single-sided "sullivanesque" style diminutive cast bronze geoerge grant elmslie-designed decorative plaque salvaged from a badly bent and twisted frame of a an exterior wall sconce that once adorned the facade of the the non-extant oliver p. morton school. the lightweight and displayable museum-quality plaque may have been executed by winslow or another midwestern foundry. the plaque is one of many that were mounted to the towerin
fanciful original early 20th century salvaged chicago interior commerical bank building lobby radiator grille with stationary surround and hinged door. the chicago bank building cast and wrought iron grille is accentuated with turned bronze finials. the surrond and pivoting grille were likely fabricated by winslow brothers or f.p. smith wire and ironworks. the ornamental grille was salvaged from an early 20th century bank building demolished long ago. fanciful original early 20th century salvage
completely intact four-legged vintage american industrial stationary machine shop table likely fabricated by the lyon metal products company, aurora, ills. the brushed metal four-legged machine shop table contains a newly added old growth wood undershelf with uniform stained finish. the robust industrial table is well-built and structurally sound and sturdy. 31"w X 27"d X 34"h
largely intact late 1930's american machine age four-legged bent tubular steel bar stool designed and fabricated by the royal metal mfg. co., chicago, il. the art deco style stationary stool remains in great overall condition with the original chrome plated condition mostly uniform and free from surface pitting. the newly added seat is comprised of solid maple wood with a lightly stained finish. the solid steel rod heel ring is welded firmly against the legs. the "royalchrome" stool is structura
single intact and orignal historically important c. 1920's neoclassical style ornamental cast iron balustrade panel salvaged from the extant cadillac-palace theater located in downtown chicago. the intricately designed panel features an unusual centrally located cartouche with elaborate scrollwork and a fleur-de-lis motif. the playful festoon or swag surrounding the cartouche is accentuated with two opposed circular floral rosettes, ribbons and acanthus leafage. contains a brushed metal finish.
incredible historically important c. 1924 samuel freeman patterned cast concrete exterior residential textile block designed by architect frank lloyd wright. the strongly geometric textile block contains a unique combination of design elements used at the imperial hotel and midway gardens. the pattern consists of recessed planes, dynamic diagonality and rendering to indicate planar depth and angle. the block exhibits surface wear from prolonged exposure to the elements. rust deposits along the e
original and intact c. 1930's american made vintage industrial galvanized steel wire incandescent lamp guard designed and patented by george b. hume and grover w. walls of kansas city, mo. the rigid lamp guard features a lamp band with set screw for engagement with the shell socket. the wire enclosure is comprised of galvanized steel with typical surface wear. the bottom elements consists of a series of overlapping loops terminating in eyes along the engaging ring that pivot inwards and outwards
recently decommissioned 19th century (pre-chicago fire) salvaged chicago wood-framed house sill plate segment containing a hand-chiseled tenon. the old growth pine wood residential chicago balloon frame artifact has been thoroughly cleaned and refinished. the beam exhibits original wrought iron spikes. the historically-important beam fragment was removed from a much larger sill plate or sole plate, which is identified as a bottom horizontal member of a wall and/or building where both studs, jois
all original and largely intact early 1920's notable chicago tavern art glass tavern window likely fabricated by the foster-munger co., chicago, il. the tavern and/or lodge, located on chicago's north side, contained several matching windows in the exact size and configuration. the window features a brightly colored centrally located shield accentuated a single band of gold leaf sandwiched "flash" glass. the leaded window is comprised mostly of clear glass glass, which contains multiple hairline
original and intact ornamental ionic style ornamental cast iron column capital segment or panel designed and fabricated by the union foundry works, chicago, ill. a total of four matching panels were removed, with one of the four reserved for the bldg. 51 museum collection. the other three are priced individually. each column capital segment has been cleaned and brushed down to bare metal with traces of the original primer and black paint finish evident. the panels were salvaged from the load-bea
intact single antique american industrial flexible gooseneck table task lamp designed and fabricated by the faries mfg. co., decatur, ills. the robust weighted base table lamp contains a hubbell enameled dark green parabola reflector with rolled rim. the desk lamp retains the original bronze patinated finish with some surface wear consistent with age. the polished brass coiled gooseneck arm is rigid and retains its form when adjusted, affixing to the socket on one end and a stationary pole on th
single all original and intact four-legged depression-era antique american industrial factory machine shop stool designed and fabricated by the angled steel stool company, otsego, mich. the riveted joint angled stool contains the original nicely worn and weathered paint finish. the solid maple wood seat is tightly affixed to the steel base.
original fully functional oversized cast bronze commerical building temperature gauge with detachable extension rod. the exact fabricator is not known. the clear glass face plate is original and free from damage. the bronze casing contains a crecent moon and star. nicely aged surface patina throughout.
set of original american depression era art deco streamlined style replacement slip shades possibly fabricated for moe bridges or markel. the two dark amber-colored ornamental glass wall sconce or ceiling fixture shades contain a fluted design with centrally located diamond motif. great overall condition. priced for the pair.
original early 20th century american industrial reliance building chief engineer master key ring fabricated for the famed 8th floor (housed the practice of al capone's dentist) of the historic downtown chicago building. the nicely aged brass ring contains a series of closely spaced punched holes that would contain keys corresponding to the office doors located on the 8th floor. the original keys would have been fabricated by or for the yale & towne mfg. co., new britain, ct. in 1890, real estate
exceptionally hard to find and highly sought after c. 1893-94 interior single-sided elevator grille ornamented stamped copper "t-plate" plaque salvaged from the chicago stock exchange building during the demolition in the early 1970's. the louis h. sullivan designed visually distinctive plate was originally used to indicate which elevator door was operational (as opposed to the stationary grilles). the majority of t-plates recovered from the demolition are know in private collections, public mus
finely crafted c. 1895 german gothic style interior wrought iron elevator grillework or panel salvaged from the extant historic reliance building located in downtown chicago, il. the elegantly designed scrollwork (consisting of fishtail end and c-scrolls) is riveted tightly against a traditional grid configuration. the ornamental ironwork was fabricated by the notable winslow brothers foundry, chicago, il. the original bower-barff appears largely intact (under a coat of black paint). likely remo